Monday, August 16, 2010

Things Made...



I realized this morning that I've been posting far more about shopping/consumerism dilemmas than I have about stuff I'm making. In an effort to remedy that, here are a few pics of stuff I've made in the last two weeks.





Just a plain white tea that I stenciled on.




More button earrings and a weird sculptural string barrette. It looks a lot better on than it does in the pic. 




I needed a messenger bag for my laptop. This was made entirely of scrap fabrics. A year ago-ish, I made a mei tai baby carrier for a co-worker (example) and had a fair bit of leftover fabric. There's tons of super convenient pockets and it's lined with a cute green print. Unfortunately, I really don't like this bag. It's just not my style. Luckily my roommate (who happens to have a sweet blog) likes it, so it's hers now! I'm planning on making a new one sometime before school starts from old cargo pants. 



I'm experimenting with making up my own cheap-o frames that can be taped to the wall because the new house has some very unmanageable plaster making it really difficult to hang pictures with actual frames. I actually like how these turned out but I may try something else next. 



Finally, a pic of the current design on the chalkboard wall in our rec room. 

2 comments:

  1. While it might not go precisely in the spirit of the blog, 3M, I believe, manufactures removable sticky things for securing things to surfaces. See here for an example: http://www.google.com/products?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=3m+removable+sticky&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=pZtpTM2wIoK0lQfsgIWgBQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CD0QrQQwAg. They work fairly well for hanging pictures on plaster, a problem I share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen - you inspired me to Use the Buffalo today: http://storydoula.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/the-ghiradelli-eco-debacle-and-what-that-has-to-do-with-annabelles-birthday/

    And I gave your blog a shout out here:
    http://storydoula.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/using-the-buffalo-gwens-adventures-in-shopping-less/

    Keep going, Doll! We need your voice!! It's such an awesome one!

    ReplyDelete