Wednesday, November 24, 2010

gift season part 1 - where to buy.

   It's been a solid two months since I've posted. I knew working and schooling full time would be a tricky endeavor, but I may have underestimated just how much of a time suck it would become. When I'm not at work it's pretty much a guarantee that I'm at school, clinical, or doing homework. So, clearly my crafting has taken a backseat. I have plenty o' homework to be doing right now but I really wanted to post something about holiday gift giving before the arrival of black Friday.

   A couple weeks ago I was talking with some friends over dinner and one of them expressed his concern about making all his own gifts for Christmas. Basically, he really wants to give gifts, doesn't want to get things from the mall, but feels uncomfortable making his own because he might not have the time, creativity, or skill set. Myself and others told him about some alternatives that he just had no idea about it and it struck me that maybe others would like to know about these options as well.


1. Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/) - this is an obvious choice for a lot of people, but it's worth mentioning. Handmade and vintage  items are the name of the game and I especially like that you can search for local sellers in your area. Also, if you have a particular gift in mind that you want made, you can request that someone make it for you.

2. Second Storie Indie Market (http://secondstorie.net/) in Rochester has goods available from, mostly, local artists.

3. Goodwill (http://www.goodwill.org/) is a great option for all kinds of stuff. I have heard friends complain that it is too pricey for a thrift shop and I can understand that complaint. I am happy to pay a few extra bucks however, for their services. They support employment of a lot of people who are typically denied access to the working world - former inmates, people with disabilities, and those lacking education. And their revenue is spent almost entirely on programs in the community.

4. ReHouse (http://www.rehouseny.com/) is an architectural salvage store in Rochester that offers a wide selection of reused and repurposed household items. They salvage these items from homes that are scheduled for demolition or undergoing major remodelling projects.

5. Record Archive, Lakeshore Record Exchange, The Bop Shop (http://www.recordarchive.com/http://www.alternativemusic.com/Homehttp://www.bopshop.com/). If you have music fans that you're shopping for (and you're in Rochester) I would check out these stores. Huge selections of new and previously owned music and you can actually talk to employees who really know their stuff.

6. Books - There are too many local bookshops to list, but if you want to buy some books for someone, I would suggest shopping from a local used book shop or giving a gently used book of your own.

7. "Experience" Gifts - These are gifts I give in which I'm paying for an experience and not a product, like tickets to a concert or gift certificates to restaurants. These can be really great options if you just don't know what to get someone. If it's a concert I try to make it a local or indie musician, and if it's a restaurant I like to make it a local, non-chain dining spot.

8. Lessons - this really follows along with #7, but I think a great gift option is buying someone lessons for something they've always wanted to learn - cooking, martial arts, an instrument. Plus, this is an area for shopping that is mostly untouched by huge conglomerates. You're pretty much guaranteed to be buying from someone local with this option. I know I would love this is as a gift (ahem...drum lessons!....).

  Well, I wish I had a solid list of 10 to round out this post but those are my main ideas for now. Feel free to add your own suggestions in the comment area! I'm going to have some other posts soon about ideas for gifts to make and some reflections on gift giving in general.

3 comments:

  1. if the person you're talking about is the person i'm thinking of, he would strongly encourage people to check out gift certificates at kiva.org, an online microlending community where you can support small businesses around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the same vein as ReHouse, ReStore is a store in Rochester run by Habitat for Humanity. They sell leftover or salvaged building materials from Habitat builds. And the proceeds support future Habitat projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of those ideas....now talk with your family quick and lets do a "make a gift" or something like that gift giving season!

    ReplyDelete