Thursday, July 8, 2010

starting off

    To put it simply - I would like to shop less and create more. I'm making this blog to help me along this path because:
a) I think making a blog will help to hold me accountable to my goals if both strangers and those closest to me are following my process.
b) I'm interested in sharing ideas with others and this seems like a great format with which to do so. 

   In general, what I'm going to try to do is shop as little as possible for items that are not necessary for survival. I already follow this rule to some extent, but I guess I'd like to get just a little bit more hard core about it. When I do need to shop, I'd like to follow some guidelines:
1. Shop Locally/Avoid Malls - I'm not going to launch into any long tirades about big box stores or the death of the American Main Street. But I do believe that working on the community level is the best way to affect positive change. Also, mall shopping depresses me and dries out my eyes, bleh!
2. Honesty - Maybe this point ought to come first. I'd like to be as open and honest about this process as possible. No matter how embarrassing or ill conceived my shopping (mis)adventures may be, I'd like to be truthful about them. I really would like to learn from this process and I cannot expect any possible readers of this blog to contribute to my journey if I'm not giving you the whole story.
3. Question - If I do feel I need to buy something that's typically not necessary for survival I am going to try to spend some amount of time honestly reflecting on why I am buying the item and whether or not I would be able to make it myself.

  That's it for the lists (for now). I'm off to clean up my room and make some things out of garbage. I killed the buffalo, it's time I use it.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Gwen! this blog is helpful in my own quest to become more low impact. I've been realizing that it is these tiny decisions every day that make a difference. I've talked in my own blog about being embarrassed that my low impact adventure is full of such small steps - but really that is the whole point. It is the gratitude, reflection and intention that we find in these small steps that lead us to another system. There is so much to uncover about our consumerism... it is what our culture knows and values most. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Sooo helpful.

    ReplyDelete